The Fun Stuff…
I am passionate about eating clean, living green, and spending lots of time with Mother Nature. I start every day walking my sweet spaniel down the Main Street of my lovely village down to the harbor – and yes, that is as awesome as it sounds. When I am not working, I enjoy hiking, sailing, gardening, meditation, and watching football/playing fantasy football. I practice yoga to keep myself sane.
Here are some random facts about me:
- In addition to my beloved dog, I have two rescue chinchillas.
- I have hiked the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
- My front-yard vegetable garden has had more than its five minutes of fame
- I can bring a sailboat into a dock without hitting anything
- I do my grocery shopping at 6:00 AM in the morning – no one is in my way, the shelves are all stocked, and it’s like Cheers – everybody knows my name!
- I live in a male-dominated house, but have the filthiest mouth (too many years of waitressing!)
The Formal Stuff…
Dr. Barbara Bolen is a clinical psychologist, a transformational health coach, and a digestive health writer. She has over 30 years of experience in helping people to feel better. In addition to working one on one with clients, she has touched the lives of people throughout the world through her books and her online work.
Hofstra University, M.A. & Ph.D in School and Clinical Psychology, 1985, 1987.
St. John’s University, B.A. Magna Cum Laude, 1983.
Health Coach Institute, Transformational Coaching Method Certification, 2016.
Institute for Integrative Nutrition, Health Coach Certification, 2014.
Academy for Guided Imagery, Interactive Guided Imagery Certification, 2008.
Dr. Bolen has worked in hospital, school and private practice settings. She currently maintains a private practice, providing individual psychotherapy to adults who are dealing with a wide variety of psychological issues and symptoms. In her practice she utilizes a cognitive behavioral (CBT) treatment approach. Click here to learn more.
Transformational Health Coach
Bringing her unique awareness of the mind/body connection in the areas of health and wellness, Dr. Bolen is able to work with people individually and through online programs to help them to achieve optimal digestive and overall health. Click here to learn more.
Dr. Bolen has been writing about digestive health for over a decade, with a particular emphasis on irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). Her books include:
- IBS: 365 Tips for Living Well,
- The Everything® Guide to the Low-FODMAP Diet,
- Breaking the Bonds of Irritable Bowel Syndrome and
- IBS Chat: Real Life Stories and Solutions.
Dr. Bolen was the IBS Expert for About/Verywell.com from 2007 to 2017, publishing hundreds of articles covering a wide variety of digestive health topics. She has also served as the Technical Editor for the book, IBS Cookbook for Dummies and contributed to the screenplay for the documentary, Microwarriors, narrated by Leonard Nimoy.